If a disaster hits, here are 10 key items for a home emergency kit. Keep them in a waterproof plastic bin in an easily accessible place.
1. Battery-operated lantern. Throws more illumination than a flashlight and is much safer than candles.
2. Radio/phone charger. Get one with a hand crank for charging.
3. Multi-tool. Make sure it includes a can opener and pliers.
4. Mylar blanket. This shiny silver sheet is remarkably warm, yet lightweight, and folds up compactly.
5. Nylon rope. Handy for tying down outdoor furniture and securing doors.
6. Fishing line. This is a very strong way to secure items when rope is too thick.
7. Duct tape. Nothing is as versatile for quick temporary repairs.
8. Vinyl tablecloth. Spread it out anywhere to create a clean zone.
9. Baby wipes. These are great for removing dirt and grime from your hands or almost any surface.
10. Work gloves. Use these to protect your hands during post-disaster cleanup.